When considering a pool cover, it’s important to think of the costs and benefits in detail before making a final decision. Although a safety pool cover can be expensive, it’s a great investment toward making your pool area both safe and appealing, and it’s likely to be more cost-effective in the long run.
The majority of inground pool owners tend to purchase a safety pool cover. These covers have spring-loaded straps that anchor into the concrete to hold it in place. Safety pool covers help keep potentially damaging items out of your pool, such as large debris, tree branches, or yard decorations. Aside from keeping the water safe, it helps keep others safe from the water. A safety pool cover adds an extra layer of protection, typically able to hold thousands of pounds safely, for when unexpected visitors, like small children and wildlife, wander into your pool area.
While a safety pool cover can be initially expensive to purchase, it can help you save in the long run. Safety pool covers are extremely durable and last an average of 15 years without needing replacements. When you combine that with the added cost of water bags, cover pumps, and labor that go into regular pool cover maintenance, a safety pool cover is likely to come out cheaper in the end.
Some additional ways that a safety pool cover can offset the initial cost of purchase are:
- Save water. You want to keep as much water you can inside the pool during the offseason. Safety pool covers fill up the pool naturally, so you don’t have to put as much water in come spring when you’re ready to open.
- Save on effort and maintenance. Safety pool covers are easier to install, take on and off, and maintain. The cover will block any large debris that could potentially damage your pool and liner had the cover not been in place. It also reduces algae growth from getting out of control when you open your pool.
- Save on accessories. Safety pool covers require fewer accessories and additional purchases than solid covers.
- Save on replacement costs. Safety pool covers last an average of 4 times longer than other covers, saving you money in the long run by avoiding costly replacements.
- Save energy. With a safety pool cover, there's no need to keep a pump plugged in all winter. The more energy you save, the happier you (and the environment) will be.
Consider a safety pool cover to be an investment that will pay for itself in the long run. Not only are you saving money through the various avenues mentioned above, but you’re also potentially saving lives. Nothing can be more priceless than the peace of mind that comes with the purchase of a safety pool cover.